The speed is a measure of the revolutions per minute that an electric motor performs. It is specified in rpm and determines the power and efficiency of the motor. The higher the speed, the higher the performance of the motor, but this also increases the power consumption.
The importance of frequency inverters in modern drive technology:
Frequency inverters enable precise regulation and adjustment of the speed of an electric motor. The affinity law states that the energy consumption of a motor increases in proportion to the third power of the speed. Reducing the speed can therefore save a considerable amount of energy. Frequency inverters are therefore an important technology for improving the efficiency of electric motors and reducing energy costs.
- Energy saving: Precise speed control leads to energy savings, for example with pumps and fans.
- Process optimization: Frequency inverters adapt the drive power to the requirements of the process and thus enable better process control and process optimization.
- Greater flexibility: The drive can be used for various applications thanks to the adaptability of the speeds
- Extending the service life of appliances: By reducing the speed, the loads and stresses on the mechanical components of the appliance are reduced, resulting in less wear and tear.
- Low noise pollution: Precise speed control reduces engine noise.
Intelligent drives offer functions that go beyond mere speed control. By using CBM (Condition-Based Monitoring), for example, relevant engine operating data can be recorded and evaluated in order to detect potential faults at an early stage and take preventative countermeasures. The connection to cloud or edge computing systems also opens up further possibilities, such as the remote monitoring and control of systems or the analysis of operating data for optimized process design. Other parameters such as temperature or vibrations can also be recorded and evaluated via sensor connections to enable even more precise control and monitoring of the motor. In summary, intelligent drives with their additional functions help to increase the operational reliability and efficiency of systems and reduce maintenance costs.